Below is a collection of resources just for the home gardener.
Also visit the Horticulture Center link in the gold bar above for details on the berries at the Fair Oaks Horticulture Center.
Note: PDF files open in a new window/tab.
- Plant problem diagnostic tool - UC IPM gives you the ability to solve plant problems.
- Information from UC Integrated Pest Management online about growing blackberries and raspberries, including cultural guidelines and pests and disorders that may affect these berries.
- Information about growing strawberries, including cultural guidelines and pests and disorders that may affect strawberries from UC Integrated Pest Management online.
- Information about growing blueberries (PDF) in the Sacramento region, including important soil preparation tips and varieties suggested for our area. (EHN 88)
- Growing cane berries (PDF) in the Sacramento region includes suggested varieties, and training and pruning information. (EHN 86)
- Growing Berries in your Backyard from the California Garden Web offers advice for home gardeners about growing blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.
ANR = free publication from the UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Catalog
PN = free publication from UC Integrated Pest Management
EHN = Environmental Horticulture Notes from the UCCE Master Gardeners of Sacramento County
GN = Garden Notes from the UCCE Master Gardeners of Sacramento County
You need Adobe Reader to read the PDF files; download the latest version using the link below.