Wednesday Open Garden - FOHC
Date: October 11, 2023
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Contact: (916) 875-6913
Sponsor: UCCE Master Gardeners of Sacramento County
Location: Fair Oaks Horticulture Center
Fair Oaks Horticulture Center (map and directions)
11549 Fair Oaks Boulevard
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
Join Sacramento’s UC Master Gardeners for the final open garden event of 2023. You will get locally-relevant insights on caring for your garden at the end of the season’s bounty—preparation for 2024. See colorful foliage and late season blooms like cherry-red pineapple sage against lime green leaves. Feel free to bring your curiosity and questions. Pictures of problem pests or plants, or samples in an enclosed bag or jar, can be helpful.
Don't miss these special presentations:
10:00 AM - Composting at Home - under the Kiwi Arbor
10:00 AM - Fall Planting - in the Water-Efficient Landscape garden
Elsewhere in the garden will be opportunities to learn about:
- Water-Efficient Landscape: Fall clean-up to manage pests and adding bulbs for spring blooms.
- Compost: Turning and sifting finished compost. Kids love finding and caring for red wigglers.
- Berries: Pruning and amending the soil for the proper pH.
- Herbs: Cool season bloomers like hyssop, chrysanthemums, dianthus and sages.
- Vegetables: Planting cover crops and cool season veggies to sustain Sacramento year-round.
- Orchard: Late season harvesting, mulching and preparations for frost protection.
- Vineyard: Noting color changes that could mean more than normal fall changes.
The colorful 2024 Gardening Guide and Calendar focused on habitat in the garden will be available—and is a great holiday gift at just $12. Please bring cash or check. Our Gardening Guide and Calendar is also available to purchase with a credit card or from local vendors. Find more.
No pets, please! Located outside–rain or shine. For more info: (916) 875-6913.
Advice to grow by - Ask us!